News & Events
2017 Washington, DC
- August 1, 2017
- Posted by: Vas Taras
- Category: Global Symposium
X-Culture / Academy of International Business Student Symposium
October 26-29, 2017.
The University of the District of Columbia
icon-group Number of participants:
Limited to 50 students.
The selection process is competitive. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrated excellence in past X-culture participation.
The 2017 X-Culture Symposium is co-organized with the Academy of International Business USA Southeast (AIB-SE) Division.
This year’s conference will take place in Washington D.C. on the campus of the University of the District of Columbia, October 26-28, 2017.
The target audience are the X-Culture Alumni interested in pursuing graduate degrees (Master’s, Ph.D.) and ultimately careers in academia, research and development. In addition to the business competition and career development program, the event will provide an opportunity to meet world-class International Business scholars, attend their research presentations, expand personal and professional network, and learn more about the exciting world of International Business research and academia.
The X-Culture symposium is limited to a maximum of 50 students and we anticipate a competitive selection process. A selection committee will choose 50 participants from the list of interested applicants. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrated excellence in past X-Culture participation, but also with some consideration to maximize geographic and cultural diversity.
Please read the following information carefully. Then, if you are interested in participating, please fill out the application form. You can find information on the past X-Culture Symposia here.
To provide the Symposium attendees with opportunities to learn new skills, meet new people, and strengthen their resume, the event program will include an International Business Competition similar to the general X-Culture project. The difference is that this time the team members will also work face-to-face and present their work directly to the client company.
Each student will be placed on an international team of about 4-7 students per team. Your team will be able to collaborate virtually for 4-6 weeks prior to the conference and then have some additional time in Washington D.C. to finish up your report working face-to-face. On the last day of the conference, all teams will present their findings and recommendations to Executives from our corporate partner and X-Culture professors. Awards will be presented to the winners!
This year’s corporate partner is still being finalized but it will be a multinational firm with a significant presence in the Washington D.C. area. Past corporate partners of X-culture symposiums include Hard Rock Cafe, Louis Vuitton, Mercedes-Benz, American Airlines, and the Home Depot.
The sponsor will provide a specific consulting challenge for you and your team that will provide a unique learning experience for you and add value to HSBC’s operations.
In addition to the X-culture corporate challenge, the conference will promise a full schedule of activities. The X-culture symposium is a part of the AIB-SE research conference. Thus, anyone who has some interest in the
icon-table TENTATIVE PROGRAM
In addition to the business challenge, the program will include several other valuable sessions, such as meetings with entrepreneurs, academics, and community leaders, as well as access to all Academy of International Business Southeast conference events, including scholarly presentations, panel sessions, professional development workshops, networking and social events. The conference brings together hundreds of the world’s leading International Business scholars and professionals from dozens of countries.
Timeline of Events
- Approximately September 15 – You will be assigned to a team and the coirporate challenge will be released. Prior to the conference, your team will work virtually to address the challenge provided by HSBC.
- October 25 (or earlier) – Arrive in Washington D.C. You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to Washington D.C.
- October 26 morning – Introduction to conference activities and meetings with corporate executives.
- October 27 – Work with your teammates on challenge, attend professional development sessions.
- October 28 – Deliver presentation of findings and recommendations to corporate executives and X-Culture professors.
- October 28 Evening – Final conference dinner
- October 29 – Free to return home or for additional sightseeing.
There are four components that make up the costs of attendance:
- Conference Registration – $250. This includes meeting space, special sessions, conference materials, several lunches and dinners.
- Hotel Accommodations – AIB-SE has negotiated special rates with two conference hotels. Please visit the AIB-SE Hotel site for further details.
- Travel to/from Washington D.C. and visa costs, if needed. You are responsible for making your own travel reservation to/from Washington D.C. If you need a US visa, once registered, you will receive a letter of support to bring to your interview at a US embassy.
- Additional spending money.
Please visit the AIB-SE home page to learn more about the conference and detailed information about the conference. This is also where you will be registering for the conference if you are selected to participate.
Please also visit the X-Culture Meetings page to learn more about our past symposia such as the 2016 conference in Tampa-Cozumel-Tamp hosted by Sykes, the 2015 conference in Savannah, GA hosted by JCB; 2014 in Miami, Florida hosted by Louis Vuitton, 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey hosted by Mercedes-Benz and 2013 in Atlanta, USA, hosted by the Home Depot.
Please fill out the application form with the required information. We anticipate a competitive selection process and we will notify selected participants as soon as possible.
We hope to see you in Washington D.C. this fall for what promises to be a unique and unforgettable experience!
If you have any questions, please contact:
Dr. Peter Magnusson
2017 X-Culture at AIB-SE Program Director
University of Alabama
icon-arrow-circle-right APPLY (by invitation only)
Application Deadline: August 6, 2017 (11:50 pm EST)