The X-Culture Certified Global Virtual Team Coaching Program
Coaching Program 2021-1: January 23 – May 8, 2021
icon-calendar Application deadline: January 1, 2021
Notification of Acceptance Status: January 15, 2021
Program Acceptance Fee Payment Deadline: February 1. 2021
The best X-Culture students become coaches and mentors to the new generation of X-Culture students.
These Coaches acquire skills and unique experiences that employers value in today’s business world.
The purpose of the X-Culture Global Virtual Team Coaching Program is to help the Coaches:
- Strengthen their theoretical knowledge and understanding of the principles and best practices of guiding global virtual teams
- Gain practical experience in coaching, mentoring, and managing global virtual consulting teams
Coaches who successfully complete the program can put on their resume the following achievements, skills, and experiences:
- Completed a series of training modules on understanding and managing people in global virtual teams and international business principles and theories
- Served as a coach, mentor, and counsel to hundreds of global virtual teams completing a complex international business consulting project
- Developed training materials and live training webinars for a global audience
- Investigated and facilitated the resolution of cross-cultural conflicts and misunderstandings
- Evaluated individual and team performance
- Provided regular constructive and developmental feedback to individuals and teams and helped them improve their work
- Helped members of the globally-dispersed teams coordinate their efforts
- Reviewed and analyzed a large number of business proposals and prepared executive analytic summaries for the top managers
- Actively participated in weekly experience exchange conferences with other coaches, shared personal observations, heard about the challenges experienced by other coaches, brainstormed the best solutions and provided and received feedback and suggestions
- Invited to review business proposals and select winners of a large-scale consulting competition
- Addressed concerns and responded to questions from members of global virtual teams
- Conducted independent research on international business and global virtual teams and wrote an analytic paper and guide for managers, team members, and educators (optional Pet Project)
- Provided suggestions for training program design and management of large-scale consulting projects
- Completed all of this in a highly complex culturally diverse and technology-intensive environment, working alongside people from 40+ different countries
Certificates and Recommendation Letters: Upon successful completion, graduates receive official X-Culture Certified Global Virtual Team Coaching Program certificates and customized recommendation letters.
Phase 1: Theoretical Training (4 weeks)
Week 1: X-Culture
Module 1 Exam Topics:
- Chapter 1. The X-Culture Project: Purpose, History, Method, Vision
- Chapter 2. The X-Culture Coaching Program: Purpose, History, Method, Vision
Week 2: Anatomy of GVTs
Module 2 Exam Topics:
- Chapter 3. Known GVT Problems and Best Practices
- Chapter 4. Managing GVTs
- Chapter 5. Free-Riding in GVTs
- Chapter 6. Principles of crowdsourcing and global virtual collaboration
Week 3: Managing and Coaching GVTs
Module 3 Exam Topics:
- Chapter 7. The Art of Effective Feedback
- Chapter 8. Team Counseling
- Chapter 9. Managing Conflict in Project Teams
- Chapter 10: Organizing and leading webinars and discussion groups
Week 4: Technologies and Knowledge for GVT-Based IB Consulting
Module 4 Exam Topics:
- Chapter 11. Online Collaboration Tools
- Chapter 12. Academic Referencing Styles
- Chapter 13. Plagiarism
- Chapter 14: The Basics of International Business
Applicants who successfully pass the Theoretical Phase will earn the opportunity to participate in Phase 2, the Practical Phase.
Phase 2: Practical Training (remaining weeks)
- Coaching global virtual teams participating in the X-Culture project
- Developing training materials
- Organizing and leading a live instructional webinar
- Facilitating quality improvement discussion groups
- Participating in weekly experience-exchange online conferences with other Coaching Program trainees
- Preparing analytic executive summaries for corporate clients
- Serving as a judge of work of others, including being a member of the Award Committee that selects the X-Culture Competition winners
- Completing a Portfolio that summarizes their experiences
- Further theoretical training will be provided to supplement practical training.
The number of Coaches in the X-Culture Coaching Program is typically limited typically to 50 per semester.
- Preference is given to the X-Culture Alumni who had the high scores on peer evaluations (4.0 and higher), whose teams wrote the best reports (4.5 and higher), as well as those who provided the most insightful and thoughtful comments in weekly surveys, and shared most original ideas and suggestions in the post-project survey.
- We are also looking for the most motivated people, those who are eager to learn while helping the new generation of X-Culture students to succeed.
- Only people who successfully complete Phase 1 (pass the theoretical exam) are allowed to advance to Phase 2.
- The acceptance fee is non-refundable, yet those that do not complete may still utilize the training materials for their professional development.
- Coaches that earn 80% on the four assessments and meet the required tasks will receive a certificate and a personalized letter of completion.
- Only participants that complete the 4 module assessments successfully, plus the XCRM coaching assessment will be able to coach global virtual teams that request support.
Estimated Time Requirements
The program is very demanding and time-consuming.
Phase 1: Theory
- Review training materials: approximately 1-2 hours per module, 5-10 hours per week
- Weekly Theory exams: approximately 30-60 min per test
Total per week: 5-10 hours
Phase 2: Practice
- Addressing team questions, concerns, providing help: approximately 2-3 hours per week
- Weekly assignments and providing feedback and suggestions: approximately 3-7 hours per week
- Team webinars and training material creation
- Additional research and optional program modules: as desired
- Portfolio creation: approximately 5-10 hours total
Total per week: 5-20 hours
Total time investment over the 16 weeks: 60-120 hours.
X-Culture Coaching Program Tuition
- The full program fee is $775.
- Recipients of Coaching Program Tuition Reduction Award pay $275 USD total.
- Recipients of the Administrative Assistantship Program Tuition Reduction Award pay $75 USD total, with a commitment to serve the program an additional 5-hours per week.
X-Culture Coaching Program Tuition Reduction Award
Applicants meeting one or more of the following criterion will qualify for a $500 tuition reduction (paying $275 total for the entire program):
- Applicants whose peer evaluations in X-Culture were 4.0 or higher
- Applicants who were members of the winning teams
- Applicants who have attended one or more past live X-Culture events such as Symposiums or X-Culture Global Business Week
- Citizens and permanent residents of countries with GPD/capita less $15,000 as per the World Bank 2019 statistics
Administrative Assistantship Tuition Reduction Award
Applicants meeting the following criteria will be eligible for a $700 reduction in program tuition (paying $75 total for the entire program):
- Providing a sincere commitment to 5-additional hours of work per week (administrative help with the X-Culture Project).
- Duties will include a weekly assignment as distributed by the Administrative Assistantship Program Director. Typically these duties relate to review of past client reports, providing structured reports, coding data as directed, providing analytical reports, and other X-Culture documentation tasks.
- Must be a good manager of their own time and a strong communicator.
- Must be able to check and respond to email from the Administrative Assistantship Program Director throughout the week.
- These duties are in addition to the weekly coaching program assignments.
To apply for either of these tuition reduction awards, please complete the details in the application form.
Returning Coaches, Tuition 100% Waived
- For coaches that are returning after completing one semester as a coach, the fee is always waived upon application approval.
Senior Coaches, Tuition 100% Waived
- Coaches who have successfully served in the role of Coach for at least one semester (preferably two or more semesters) may apply to serve the program in the role of Senior Coach. These “coaches of coaches,” gain experience as team leaders and project managers. Senior Coaches: mentor the new generation of the X-Culture Coaches and assist the Program Director with other tasks and duties around managing the X-Culture Coaching Program.
- Those interested in applying to be a Senior Coach should indicate this preference on their application.
In all cases, the program fee is due by February 1, 2021.
Only students who successfully pass all Theory Exams may advance to Practical Training.
You will be asked to:
- Upload your Resume
- Provide essay answers (this will have a large impact on your application)
- Recall your past experience with X-Culture
- Please be prepared to spend 30-60 minutes completing the application