The Complicated Story of Trust in Global Virtual Teams
A research stream that explores the predictors and consequences of inter-member trust in GVTs,
as well as the mechanisms and moderators of the effects of trust on team effectiveness.
- Trust forming and development in GVTs: when, how fast, and predicted by what?
- Effects of inter-member trust on team dynamics and performance.
- Is trust always good?
- Is the effect of trust linear or curvilinear?
- Can trust lead unethical behavior and collusion in GVTs?
- The effects of different facets of trust (I believe that my team members are honest (honesty) vs. I can trust my team members to complete the work they promised to do (reliability) vs. I trust they mean well and act in good faith (intention)).
- A network analysis of trust in GVTs: who trusts whom, subteams, us vs. them, ostracized team members, asymmetries in trust and their effects on team dynamics and performance.
- Does distrust = low trust? Is trust and distrust/mistrust the opposites of one continuum, or two different continua?
- While breach of trust is typically an abrupt event, is trust building within a team a continuous process or a single leap of faith?
- Similarly to a paradox of “the City of Liars and the City of Truth,” can a questionnaire be developed to determine whether a respondent pretends to have trust in his/her team or truly has such trust?
- What are the cultural dimensions of trust? How they affect trust felt towards in-group members and/or mistrust felt towards out-group persons?
Gregory Kivenzor, email@example.com
Vas Taras, firstname.lastname@example.org